Almost everyone knows what bed bugs are. The more you know, the more you probably squirm and wrinkle up your nose when someone even mentions them. In fact, you may be scratching yourself right now! Bed bugs have made a huge comeback in all sorts of buildings from homes to hotels, movie theaters, hospitals, and more. Why? Because as time goes on, people travel more and more, transporting these hitchhiking pests to other locations.
Bed bugs are blood-feeding parasites that feed on human blood. They hate the light, and typically feed during the nighttime hours when people lie still in their beds. These bites cause itchy welts on their victims. Bed bugs are extremely difficult to control, and seem to not be understood well from the public’s eye.
We want you to be better informed about bed bugs so here are some facts that you may not know:
- Bed bugs used to be believed to not spread any disease. However, studies are concluding that Bed Bugs may transmit Chagas Disease.
- They are less than 1/8″, oval, and chestnut brown in color.
- They hide a bunch of areas you may not realize. They’ve been found not only in mattresses and bedding, but in wall sockets, cracks in woodworking, plumbing and electrical conduit, clothing, backpacks, movie theater seats, behind picture frames, and rental cars.
- Bed bugs cannot fly.
- A lot of people transport bed bugs via luggage when they travel. (To find out how to prevent this, click here.)
- Inspection and treatment of bed bugs in one room can take several hours.
- Bed bugs can survive for up to 1 year without feeding on someone.
- Bed bugs can be killed if exposed to temperatures over 140 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 20 minutes.
- They are resistant to most commonly-used pesticides such as bug bombs and sprays. They won’t work, and will actually cause infestation to move to other areas.
- Bug bombs do not reach into cracks, crevasses or in other areas where bed bugs are most commonly found.
- Insect repellents applied to your person won’t prevent biting from bed bugs.
- Only professional bed bug treatment can control bed bugs.
As you can see, bed bugs are nothing to take lightly. If you suspect you may have bed bugs don’t hesitate to call us. Our pest control experts have had lots of experience successfully controlling these pests.
Let’s Talk About Your Pest Control Needs!